Google search advertising can be an extremely helpful tool when it comes to marketing your business. Google is the largest search engine in the world, meaning that there is an undeniably large amount of traffic. This fact alone makes it a highly viable option for all businesses and when used in conjunction with other marketing strategies, it can be a highly profitable enterprise for any business. Let’s explore more about google advertising, more specifically one of the main types of google advertising, google search advertising.
What Are Google Search Ads?
Simply put Google search ads are paid adverts which are shown above organic search results after you enter particular phrases or ‘keywords’ into Google. For example, if you enter ‘car insurance’ into the search engine, then you will probably see the first few options on your screen being google search ads by businesses promoting car insurance options.
How They Work?
Google advertising has a rank and bidding system which companies have to use in order to try and get their ads on the search results for keywords which pertain to their company. This is not just about having money, otherwise this was the case then the ads would simply be snapped up by the richest companies. To even up the bidding system Google handicap and give advantage to certain bidders depending on their ad-rank. Ad-rank is determined by four main factors, the expected click through rate of the ad, landing page experience, ad relevance and the format of the ad.
Before You Get Started
Before you begin it is vital that you perform a full review of your website, improve the quality of the content, navigation and the speed of the site wherever possible. You should also ensure your site is optimized for mobile visitors. Finally, you should start drafting copy for your ads. This should be relevant to your keywords and highlight value to your potential customers. One way to make sure this is the case is to check the “keyword planner” in Google Ads, as well as looking at how competitors have set-up their ads for ideas/inspiration on how you can differentiate yourself.
Here are some steps and tips to setting up your search campaign:
- Sign into Google account and click ‘Campaigns’ on the left-hand side.
- Click the plus button and select ‘New Campaign’.
- Select the results which you want to get from this campaign, higher traffic, increased sales etc.
- Choose your type of campaign (which is “search”) and how you want to measure your goal (usually website visits).
- Name your campaign and elect target languages and locations.
- Select your bid, this is how much you’ll pay for each click. Average prices can range between industries, so make sure to do some research beforehand on Google Ads.
- Enter your bid limit or your overall budget.
- Bidding strategy: Usually a ‘maximize click’ strategy is most effective for Google to be able to learn as it runs your campaign, but alternatively a ‘manual CPC’ can be used for more control.
- Put in your Ad Extensions
- Save and begin to setup your ad groups and ads
Once this is all setup, it is then vitally important to double check the setup and settings to make sure everything is correct. This also includes adding in keywords to your campaign, before you make the campaign live. Give it a week or so to then start to gather data before examining and making any relevant changes to optimize its overall performance. An alternative to all of this however is to go to the professionals such as an internet marketing agency, who have a large amount of experience in this area and will setup, manage and optimize campaign all on your behalf.